At Devoran School our intention is to a provide a stimulating Design and Technology (DT) curriculum. DT prepares pupils to participate in an everchanging technological world by becoming discriminating, informed users and innovators of products. They learn to think creatively to improve the quality of life by looking for and responding to human needs, wants and interests. They combine their understanding of relevant and past design and technology with practical skills to design, make evaluate and amend their own products; and to build on their skills for both independent learning and team work. We would hope that the activities undertaken during their time at Devoran school will also reflect the children's local environment and support them in the wider world.
At Devoran, our design and technology opportunities aim to:
- foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making;
- deliver the aims of the National Curriculum: co-operate, plan, design, make and evaluate;
- lead children into discovery, through practical learning opportunities where they can apply knowledge and skills from other subjects (including art, language, mathematics, science, computing) and learn to make their own decisions;
- motivate and encourage children to master important life skills, such as using kitchen tools to make healthy food products or developing a resilient approach to solving design problems;
- recognise how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped to shape the world.